Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Hamm's Beer magazine ad (1959)

Ebony, December 1959
By the time I was old enough to know what beer was the Hamm's can was changed to the modern version but I do recall the old keg can from my brother's beer can collection. The Beer Bear I don't remember at all.

As for the Hamm's Brewery itself, like many of its contemporaries it opened in the late 1800s, struggled through Prohibition, lost popularity in the 1940s and 50s and felt its demise in the 1960s. Established in 1865 the brewery was sold in 1968 to Heublin, then Olympia Brewing Company, Pabst and finally Miller Brewing Company.

The good news for Hamm's lovers is that it the brand name never went away though it is only sold in limited markets. The bad part of the equation is that it's now a macro swill. I'd still drink one if I came across it.

No comments:

Post a Comment